PROUDLY AUSTRALIAN    /    ETHICAL CHOICE    /    BIGGER AND BETTER ROCKS    /    REAL DIAMONDS
Diamonds
Engagement Rings
Before Proposing
After Proposing
Industry Must Read
Giving Back
Others
>

Engagement Rings
All platinum rings are not equal
Sep 27, 2022
It is easy to assume that valuable metals used for rings, such as gold and platinum, are standard across the industry. However, this is far from the truth; many ring manufacturers use substandard alloys of metal to save money, resulting in rings that cannot maintain their appearance over time. On the other hand, we can confidently say that our platinum rings are superior to any other ring manufacturer's since not only will they outlive other platinum rings, but they will do so while maintaining their beautiful appearance.  
 
So, what is the reason for our utmost confidence in our platinum rings? Glad you asked! Read on to find out why Novita's platinum rings are so special.
 
For platinum rings, it's standard in the diamond industry for ring manufacturers to make the platinum ring from 90% pure platinum and 10% a mix of a variety of metals, which helps cut down on costs. Our belief, however, is that diluting platinum alloy with extra base metals essentially means depriving customers of a good quality product and their hard-earned money. Novita uses 95% pure platinum, the highest it can be in a ring, but the rest of the 5% is what differentiates us from the competition.
 
There are some retailers that also sell 95% platinum rings, but most of them simply use copper to fill the remaining 5% of the alloy. As you know, copper is reddish brown in colour, so what do you think happens when you add copper to white metal like platinum? You get a metal that, at first glance, might look white but is nonetheless a muted and dull colour that is nowhere close to the vibrant silver shine of pure platinum. To help counteract this dullness and make it silvery white again, the ring is coated with a thin layer of a nickel mix or rhodium, much like white gold rings. This thin coating is just a veneer and will peel off from regular use within a very short period of time, resulting in the original dull surface getting exposed. The only way to address this is to take it back to the shop to have it replated. 
 
Additionally, adding copper to the platinum not only makes the ring look lifeless, but also makes it weaker and prone to physical wear and tear. Mixing copper makes a very soft alloy. A platinum and copper alloy ring will simply not last long; it will accumulate scratches and dents as it ages. But that's not the worst part. The soft claws holding the lab diamond in place will likely become damaged even with moderate knocks or bumps, potentially losing the centre diamond. 

Novita’s platinum alloy secret formula 

Considering all these drawbacks, Novita would never consider using copper to make platinum rings. Thus, Novita has spent decades researching and developing a unique and closely guarded mixture of metals, all naturally white, which, when combined with platinum, brings out the best qualities of platinum while reinforcing it. Our 95% platinum rings are not only brilliantly silver in colour but also very strong. 

In other words, thanks to Novita's secret platinum alloy mix, your ring will no longer need the regular and costly replating. Novita's platinum ring will maintain its initial beautiful colour and lustre even 20 or 50 years down the line. Our 5% secret alloy also gives the platinum rings incredible strength and durability, allowing them to hold their shape even after accidental knocks and bumps (to a degree). 

How much extra should platinum really cost?

Platinum is a rare metal and, when used to make a ring, the alloy is purer and denser than white gold, so it is logical that platinum rings are more expensive than white gold. Nevertheless, almost all diamond retailers, no matter how big or small, charge well over 40 to 100% more for platinum rings than they do for white gold rings. Novita, meanwhile, charges a very small premium, typically 8 to 15%, for its platinum rings.

The reason for the massive discrepancy between our prices and our competitors is simple: platinum is very difficult to work with. Gold, for example, melts at around 1100 degrees Celsius, while platinum requires a working temperature in excess of 1700 degrees C. As you can see, platinum requires more than half the temperature of gold to melt and be pliable enough to work with. Platinum's exceptionally high-temperature barrier has only been overcome by technology in the last half-century when master jewellers began working with it in earnest. Before that, platinum was only relegated to tiny parts of the ring, primarily decorations. Even so, melting platinum and creating rings with it still requires an incredible amount of energy, highly specialised machines and tools, not to mention skilled jewellers. The jewellers, despite their skill, have to experiment through trial and error to make the right alloy, further driving up costs. Since most retailers cannot or are not willing to invest in such expensive equipment and staff, they must outsource the production of platinum rings to specialised facilities and then pass the costs along to their customers, after taking their cut of the profit, of course. 

Novita invested very early on into mastering working with platinum since we were certain that platinum was the metal of the future and not gold. After decades of experience, hard work and research, the results have finally paid off. Novita's specialisation in platinum has enabled us to produce platinum in scale and quality that is unmatched in the diamond industry. Naturally, with scale comes efficiency, and Novita passes those considerable savings onto their customers by pricing their platinum rings much lower than the competition. It is imperative to note that this low price of our platinum rings does not in any way mean that we are compromising on quality. Far from it, in fact. Thanks to our secret formula, our platinum rings are so much better than any other platinum ring manufacturer worldwide that it isn't even a contest. 

Take a look at our extensive collection of ring designs that can be made with platinum, and take advantage of Novita's specialisation in platinum ring manufacturing. Not only are Novita's platinum rings more affordable, they are whiter, stronger and much more durable than any gold or platinum ring. This means you can be the proud owner of a stunning ring that will last a lifetime and can be passed down generations while still looking as pristine as the day it was bought.